I don’t know about you but I’ve been on a cookie baking bender this past weekend. Attempting to make a good balance of tried and true, old-fashioned recipes and new, better-for-you versions so I can feel slightly better about indulging.
After scouring instagram for recipes that I felt looked like they’d be worth a shot, I stumbled upon this one. And guys, it’s GOOD. Like really good. Lindsay over at Weeknight Bite nailed it with this one!
Not only does it involve some help from a box (um, hello, I’ll take the help where I can get it!) it puts a healthier twist on classic flavors.
These cookies are gluten-free and dairy-free and fill your soul will all the warm and fuzzies of the season.
Here’s the recipe adapted from Weeknight Bite!
Recipe makes about 12-14 cookies!
What you’ll need:
1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
6 Tbsp Melted Coconut Oil
½ Cup Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips (there are dairy-free alternatives if sensitive!)
½ Cup Crushed Candy Canes (I put mine in a ziploc bag and used a meat tenderizer to crush them up, leaving big chunks!)
½ Tsp Ground Espresso Coffee or Instant Coffee* (I added this myself and it’s totally optional but Ina Garten always taught me to add coffee grounds to anything chocolate to really bring out the flavor!)
What to do:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly spray with coconut oil spray or other non stick spray.
3. In a large bowl, empty cake mix. Add in eggs, vanilla, coconut oil and coffee grounds. Whisk until combined.
4. Fold in the chocolate chips and half of the crushed candy canes.
5. Using a small ice cream scoop, scoop batter onto parchment paper making small cookie balls.
6. Sprinkle remaining crushed candy canes over top and lightly press them in so they stick.
7. Option to add sea salt or cracked pink salt over top for a salty/sweet combo!
8. Place in oven and let cook for 10-12 minutes. Let cool completely before enjoying!
I sprinkle a bit more candy cane over top because you can never have too much, right?!
Let me know how you like yours by leaving me a comment or tagging me in yours over on Insta!